The Water Tourism Route of the Dubysa River2012-04-30
The Water Tourism Route of the Dubysa River
The Dubysa River is one of the most beautiful rivers in Lithuania and a very popular route of water tourism. In the territory of Dubysa Regional Park the river meanders 65 km. The water tourism route (length 35 km) was set up in 2010, by the authority of Raseiniai district municipality together with the partners of the authority of Kelmė district municipality and Dubysa Regional Park, implementing the project “The use of natural resources for tourism expansion in Raseiniai and Kelmė districts”.
The river has plenty of meanders and old riverbeds, its slopes are overgrown with forests, the valley is stretched of creek meadows, and lots of swift tributaries flow into it. Medium torrential but full of waterholes the Dubysa river is suitable for friend trips as well as family tourism. There are many campsites  and rest sites  with fireplaces, fresh water , sightseeing grounds, facilities, information stands and directional marks. The campsites are convenient places to begin and end the voyage. Dubysa Regional Park water tourists are offered various services. One can finish the proposed route in two days staying the night in countryside tourism homesteads. Additionally, one can get acquainted with the nature and cultural values as well as history of this land while travelling along the cognitive forest paths for the pedestrians or cycling routes. The beauty the park reveals itself best from the hills or mounds. The water tourism route of the Dubysa River, listed in the special plan of the National water tourism, is geographically well situated and can be easily accessed via national and local roads.
We wish you have a great recreation and unforgettable experience!
Dubysos Regional Park,
Dominikonų g. 2A, 60169 Raseiniai, phone +370 428 70330,
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, official site: http://www.dubysa.info/
Excursions: Lithuanian, Russian language + 370 614 13388, e-mail: email@example.com;
English +370 681 46455 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dubysa Regional Park, www.dubysa.info
1. LKS coordinates 441536, 6163319 WGS coordinates 55.6012, 23.072299
A stone with a child’s footprint and a spring. According to elder people, the stone has got some imprints of a child’s foot, club and knee. Next to it there is a small chapel of the Virgin and a cross built by local people.
2. LKS coordinates 441643, 6162194 WGS coordinates 55.591109, 23.074233
Maironiai village campsite. Start of the route. There is a directional marker on the river bank. All campsite facilities, information stand.
3. LKS coordinates 441162, 6161553 WGS coordinates 55.585288, 23.066732
The motocross route.
4.LKS coordinates 441330, 6160423 WGS coordinates 55.57516, 23.069636
Bulavėnai campsite. The campsite equipped minimally. There is a summerhouse, fireplace, outdoor furniture.
5. LKS coordinates 441954, 6159027 WGS coordinates 55.562695, 23.079825
5. Bulavėnai mound. There is a directional marker. The mound is situated on the left bank of the river Dubysa. The distance from the river is about 200 m.
6. LKS coordinates 441294, 6156931 WGS coordinates 55.543793, 23.069819
Zakeliškės mill, the ruins of a weir. Camping is available at the homestead next to the mill (pay service). Fresh drinking water, electrical appliances are also available. Descendants of the former miller provide with the kayak and raft rent service. For more details: phone +370 617 93293.
7.LKS coordinates 446137, 6149156 WGS coordinates 55.474509, 23.148046
Lyduvėnai village campsite. There is a directional marker on the river bank. There is outdoor furniture, fireplace and a big territory for tents. The village is famous for the largest railway bridge in Lithuania (Height 42 m, Length 599 m). Next to it, there is Danute mount and the spring. Also, there are information stands about the bridge, the mounds, Catholic church etc. There is a shop, and a post office. Kayak rent and excursions: www.lyduvenu-baidares.lt, +370 682 42584.
8. LKS coordinates 446679, 6149062 WGS coordinates 55.473725, 23.156642
Kušeliškės countryside. The campsite equipped minimally. There is a directional marker on the river bank. There is a fireplace, outdoor furniture, car parking. There is a sand beach, a river pool enjoyed by swimming lovers. Close to the road No 148 Raseiniai-Šiluva.
9. LKS coordinates 447228, 6148294 WGS coordinates 55.466885, 23.165467
Country tourism homestead “Pakalnė“. The hosts of “Pakalnė” invite tourists to relax in Russian steam or Indian baths, have a hot tub, enjoy horse riding. All facilities for kayak and raft rent, tourism campsite service. There are volleyball and basketball grounds. For more details: +370 618 10707, www.pakalne.lt.
10. LKS coordinates 446679, 6149062 WGS coordinates 55.473725, 23.156642
The ruins of Kušeliškė mill and hydroelectric power station. The mill dates back to 1851. It belonged to the Katauskiai estate. Raseiniai hydroelectric power station began its work in the former place of the mill in 1948. The lift was broken down during the constructions of a new bridge Raseiniai-Šiluva.
11. LKS coordinates 450904, 6144136 WGS coordinates 55.429916, 23.224332
Bralinskiai campsite. There is a directional marker on the river bank. The campsite equipped minimally. There is outdoor furniture, fireplace, car parking, information stands. The spot of the campsite are the ruins of the former Bralinskiai mill weir.
12. LKS coordinates 452058, 6141914 WGS coordinates 55.410065, 23.242937
Daugodai c. campsite (known as “Lakštingala“(Eng. Nightingale). There is a directional marker on the river bank. The campsite attracts lovers of active life. There are basketball and volleyball grounds as well as car parking, WC, information stands. Various gatherings, festivals are often organized here.
13. LKS coordinates 452181, 6140901 WGS coordinates 55.400974, 23.245054
Padubysys campsite. End of the route. There is outdoor furniture, fireplaces, children’s ground, car parking, fresh water, WC, information stands, accessibility.
14. Padubysys mound (known as Kaukuras). At the top of the mound there is a great opportunity to look around and admire the view of the Dubysa valley. A natural-cognitive path leading to the mound provides the possibility to learn about biological diversity of the wood and mound.
15. LKS coordinates 455319, 6137125 (LKS) WGS coordinates 55.367352, 23.295195
Multi-stemmed lime tree. Close to Paliepiukai countryside (Betygala neighbourhood, on the left bank, about 30 m from the river.
16. LKS coordinates 456990, 6136872 WGS coordinates 55.365224, 23.321584
Maslauskiškės water mill. The mill dates back to XIX c and is being reconstructed at the moment. It is situated on a private land and the entrance to the territory available only with permission. There is an information stand.
17. Homestead “Dubysos slėnis”. Pay camping. The homestead is situated on the way from Maslauskiškės mill and Betygala village. There are two lodges for up to 40 persons, bathhouse and banqueting. The hosts organize hiking, cycling, kayaking. For more details: phone +370 684 01206, http://sodyba777.webs.com.
18. LKS coordinates 459080, 6135448 WGS coordinates 55.352615, 23.354759
Ąžuolytės campsite. Here is a convenient place to begin or end the voyage, passing a suspension bridge over the river.
19. LKS coordinates 459854, 6136464 WGS 55.361806, 23.366816
Betygala. 1,5 km up the hill from the campsite  there is a small town Betygala. On the way, there is so called St. John’s spring. There are information stands and directional markers. The tourists can get fresh water of the spring which also commemorates the great Lithuanian poet Maironis. 300 m forward there is an exposure of the stream Lielykas. In the centre of Betygala there is a monument of the Great Duke Vytautas, the museum. Not far from the town there are 2 mounds, chapels, information mounts. The town has got 3 shops, chemists, post-office, dispensary.
20. LKS coordinates 459482, 6131363 WGS coordinates 55.315949, 23.36169
Ugioniai church and chapel. The suspension bridge over the river. On the left side, about 750 m from the river bridge the travelers can see a classicistic style church built in 1836 and a wooden chapel with a holy spring inside. According to the legend, in 1657 someone saw a picture of Mother of God floating on air. People believe in healing powers of the holy spring water. Every year visitors and local people come here to celebrate the Assumption. There is an information stand.
21. LKS coordinates 460831, WGS coordinates 6130638 55.309545, 23.383048
Ročiškė mound (known as Aukštuona mount). It is an amazing place to enjoy the view of the Dubysa valleys.
22. Country tourism homestead “Prie Dubysos”. The place is convenient to begin or end the voyage. The homestead is situated in Vandžiai countryside, on the left side of the river. There are two lodges for up to 30 persons. One of them includes a Russian bath. Kayak rent is also available. There are basketball and handball grounds as well as big territory for tents. For more details: tel. +370 687 82026, www.atostogoskaime.lt/sodyba-priedubysos.
23. LKS coordinates 463908, 6129592 WGS coordinates 55.30038, 23.431647
Country tourism homestead “Kirkšnovė” and its campsite (pay service). The homestead is situated on the left bank of the river, opposite the mouth of the Kirkšnovė stream. The area is surrounded by wonderful nature, gorgeous oak trees, a big pond and paths leading through the woods. Kayak and bicycle rent is also available. For more details: tel. +370 698 31302, www.aniulio-sodyba.lt.
24. LKS coordinates 463891, 6129601 WGS coordinates 55.300466, 23.43137
Darbutai mound (known as Bielskis mount). The mound is situated by the confluence of the Dubysa and the Kirkšnovė stream, next to the campsite . The mound became a tomb of the landlord Bielskis, dead in the middle of XIX c. According to the legend, after the death of the landlord, his manor sank without trace. It is thought that Bielskis was cursed. 20 times people tried to nail up the cross in vain. It fell down. There also used to be a hole in the ground, next to the tomb. It is said, that one could hear the sound of the thrown pebble, which fell down straight to the vanished manor.
• holidaymakers have a right to approach the riverbank safety lines (min width 10m) independent of who the land owner is;
• ask the locals for the drinking water or firewood;
• put the rubbish into containers or take it with you;
• do not burn any plastic waste.
• to put fireplaces, build tents in places for not the purpose, which are not market in the map;
• to damage, destroy or move recreational equipment willfully;
• to cut down, damage the trees or bushes willfully;
• to make noise, play loud music or else disturb the rest of other people;
• to allow the dogs running around, bathe them in places surrounded by people;
• to litter the environment, water, bury the rubbish and waste;
• to destroy, damage the slopes or else contribute to the ground erosion.
Jurbarko g. 35, 60177, Raseiniai, tel. (8-428) 70330, e-mail email@example.com, code 288642280. Data about Directorate of Dubysa Regional Park are collected and stored in the Register of Juridical persons.